Picky kids are sure to approve of these Keto Salmon Nuggets – they’re low-carb and gluten-free!
As a kid, did you enjoy the taste of frozen fish sticks, dunked in tartar sauce? I did and always loved the crunchy fish nugget sensation. As I grew older, however, I began to appreciate different types of real fish varieties, without the additional breading.
I generally stopped eating the same type of fish sticks I grew up on. Sometimes, I still missed their crispy texture. Luckily, if you grew up loving fried fish nuggets, now you can relish the same taste without oversaturated carbs. This keto fish nugget recipe is sure to satisfy both picky children and adults alike.
Keto Salmon Nuggets
A low-carb take on fish sticks. Baked, not fried, in a cheesy parmesan almond crumb. Use fresh salmon fillets instead of cod in this recipe to help boost your omega-3 intake.
Omega3’s help combat inflammation in the body, help with good skin and hair, and facilitate good lubrication in your joints.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time 25 minutes
- Servings 4 servings at 5 pieces each
Keto Salmon Nuggets Ingredients
- 1.25-pound salmon filets (or 500 grams)
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup coconut cream or heavy cream
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese or ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl (almond flour, parmesan or nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.)
- Place in a shallow-rimmed bowl or large plate.
- Add coconut milk or heavy cream and eggs to a clean bowl and whisk using a fork or balloon whisk to combine.
- Slice the salmon into 1-inch nuggets, and make about 20 pieces.
- Coat each piece in the crumb, then egg mix, then back into the crumb again.
- Gently place the breaded salmon nuggets on a baking tray.
- Spray with oil or line with greaseproof paper and bake for 6 – 8 mins, then turn and bake further for 5 – 8 mins until golden.
- Option to fry; add about an inch high of oil to a high-sided skillet, heat until hot, and fry for about 2 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden. Don’t over-flip, though, or they will lose the crumb.
- If frying, place on kitchen paper to drain excess oil. If baking, enjoy straight from the tray with your favorite keto dip!
Nutrition for 1 serving
- Calories: 400kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7g, including:
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 39g
- Fat: 24g
- Sodium: 561mg